Saturday, March 1, 2008

Vendor Spotlight!!! Meet Kia Calloway


Check out one of our featured guest scheduled to perform at our Women Meeting Challenges - Making Change Conference.  Kia Calloway is a R&B, hip hop, and pop singer.  She is not just any Baltimore women with stars in her eyes.  Her father was killed before she was born.  Her mother used drugs and died of HIV when she was a teenager.  A lot of artist have two parents by their side, she said. "I didn't have that, the only thing that I did was I prayed and I prayed and I prayed.  And I followed my heart.  And I kept at it."  

Kia formed her own management group - Calloway Management.  She independently released her first album last year, titled It's Not A Game.  Kia performs mostly local shows, doing a lot of  Baltimore Believe events and AIDS benefits, while also singing at clubs and schools.  "I believe in giving back to the community, " she said.

She hopes that she can serve as a role model to young women in Baltimore, young women like her, who grew up in unfortunate circumstances.  Listen to a sample of some of Kia's work...

No comments: